Monday, March 24, 2008

Disciples

I think one of the biggest problems in the church today is a decreasing number of disciples. By disciples, I mean people who are truly in God's word, who are leaders, who openly share their faith, in short, things that a typical Christian should do. Jesus says, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free" (John 8:31-32).

Where are all the disciples? Let me be clear, I am definitely speaking to myself on this too. How can we as Christians expect to be disciples if we are not daily in God's word and constantly meditating on it and letting it change us? We can't!

Father, I pray that you would give us all a desire for your word!

1 comment:

ccollier said...

I completely agree. This convicts me a lot, too,because no matter how much I study I never feel like I'm doing enough. It really hurts me to see our churches filled with apathetic people who think that all God calls them to do is go to church on a fairly regular basis. My church at home is doing this 100 day thing called Connect where everyone reads the same Bible passages every day, and then the sermon on Sunday kind of wraps up the week. It's supposed to get the church on the same page and also encourage people to get in the word. I think it's helping some. But yeah, if we had 100 disciples, we could reach a lot more people than with 100 Sunday Christians.