Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Shack

This is perhaps one of the most amazing books I've ever read.  It has completely changed my perception of who God is, how he relates to us, and his sovereingty.  It's about a man who takes his family on  a camping trip to a state park.  In the chaos that ensues, his little girl is kidnapped.  After a day or two of searching, they find evidence of her at this old shabby shack in the wilderness.  About three years later, the father receives a letter from from "Papa," asking him to join him at the shack this upcoming weekend.  At first he thinks it's a sick joke, but the more he ponders it, he considers that it may truly be from God (after all, his wife lovingly refers to God as Papa).  So, he decides to journey to the shack, and...well, you'll have to read the book!  Basically he has a weekend with God, battling through the pain of losing his daughter and how that has changed him.  

After reading the book, you'll have to decide for yourself whether you think his experience is real or not.  Maybe you'll think he just had a little bit too much morphine, I don't know.  As for me though, I know it certainly spoke to me in a very real way.  It taught me so many things about the character of God that may seem strange or even radical, yet I know it to be true in my heart.  I can promise you that it will change your perception of God and your relationship with him.  I think from now on I'll always think of God as Papa, Jesus, and Sarayu (the Holy Spirit).  You gotta read this book.  I know I will many more times in the future.

No comments: